Maybe this is not the first thing that comes to mind when you think group therapy, and that’s okay! For some clients, individual therapy is the best route. Other clients thrive in group therapy! For example, they find it is an atmosphere of warmth, humor, validation and camaraderie that allows them to make the most progress.
Groups at Harmony Therapy Group
We love groups here at Harmony Therapy Group and when we have interest from at least three individuals, we’ll start just about any group! Here are the groups we currently have and you can always check out our home page and scroll to the bottom to see our events calendar where we’ll post current groups:
- Binge Eating Process Group – CoLed with a dietitian through A Collaborative Approach
- Anorexia and Bulimia Process Group
- Caregiver Support Group – also through A Collaborative Approach and for family and close friends of loved ones with an eating disorder
- Mom’s Group in Katy (for mom’s to be, new moms and seasoned moms!)
- Topical Groups on Books such as 8 Keys to Recovery From an Eating Disorder by Carolyn Costin and Gwen Grabb (https://www.amazon.com/dp/0393706958/)
- Virtual Groups – we can do video conferencing through a HIPAA compliant platform so you do not have to leave your office or home to experience support
What exactly is involved in group therapy?
You may be wondering how group therapy works! For example,there are several types of groups including:
- Open – new members are allowed at any time once they have been screened
- Closed – no new members
- Topical – the group could be based on a theme, each week or month may have a particular topic or could be based on a book!
- Support – mostly dedicated to the members supporting each other and less processing about underlying issues
- Process – more interaction by the therapist and allows for deeper processing of underlying issues within safe boundaries
Groups may be weekly, biweekly or monthly! We ultimately strive to meet the needs of our clientele and hope you will reach out to ask more about a current group or suggest a new group for us to start! Click here